News / 8th June 2023
Old Shaftesbury Hospital building gets a cleanse
Following recent cleansing of the pavement/steps in front of the former Shaftesbury Hospital the BID is delighted to announce that the delicate brickwork on the front elevation has now been cleansed as well. The works kick of a wider streetscape enhancement programme taking in various sites along lower Great Victoria Street that will take place over the Summer months.
The old Shaftesbury Hospital at 116 Great Victoria Street is a two storey hospital building originally designed by W. J. Barre for Lady Johnson, in memory of her father Mr Thomas Hughes. The hospital opened on 1st January 1868 and was extended in c1927 to incorporate 118-120 Great Victoria Street. The Belfast Ophthalmic Institution operated from the hospital from construction until relocating to the Royal Victoria Hospital in 1946. Following WWII the hospital was run by the NI Hospitals Authority until it closed down in 2010. The building was B1 listed in March 1988.