LQ BID Welcome Reopening
LQ Updates / 15th April 2021
The last four months have been extremely challenging for retail and hospitality, and we welcome the announcement from the Minister for the reopening of retail services, outdoor licensed and unlicensed premises from the 30th April, and indoor hospitality including pubs and hotels from the 24 May. While the dates are indictive and subject to review, the opportunity to open the doors and get trading again will be a huge relief and we look forward to the progressive easing of restrictions in the months ahead. LQ BID would also like to pay tribute to the Public Health Agency, who are headquartered in the District. The PHA have led a stunningly successful vaccine programme, which has protected so many lives and facilitated today’s announcement.
£500k investment for Linen Quarter
LQ BID has had ongoing engagement with the City Stakeholder Group, and other partners, to provide collective city management throughout lockdown and prepare the District for a safe return. As well as providing services throughout lockdown, including enhanced policing and cleansing, we have spearheaded a £500k recovery package for the District, co-funded between the BID and the NI Executive / Council City Revitalisation Programme. This will be rolled out over the coming months and includes:
- New boardwalks, parklets, planting, and lighting throughout the District
- A brand-new social hub at Blackstaff Square and Brunswick Street, to include French boules, outdoor seating, overhead lighting, a new lighting projection, and a vibrant 43 x 9m decked social space with stage, games area and outdoor hospitality.
- A crescent of enhanced greenery around the BBC, including replanting at the Thomas Thompson Fountain, renewal of brick planters at Linenhall St West, and a new parklet at Linenhall Street.
- A “welcome back” gift pack for members, to include a guide to the Linen Quarter, branded hand sanitisers, and a £25 gift card to help support local hospitality
In the months ahead LQ BID will also:
- Launch a new “Golden Mile” walking trail for South Belfast, to boost footfall and support cultural attractions, hotels and hospitality.
- Develop a programme to build a more sustainable district, including green energy, sustainable buildings, and the circular economy.
- Roll out a programme of free cycling training and subsidised company accreditation to encourage more sustainable transport
- Relaunch our health week programme in September
- Recruit summer street Ambassadors and relaunch our events programme to improve the vibrancy of the district.
In addition, LQ BID continue to deliver our existing services including enhanced policing and safety measures, cleansing and bespoke waste management, area promotion including the city centre gift card, and ongoing member updates. If you would like further information on any of the above, or if your organisation would like to get involved with any of the initiatives, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
MD, Linen Quarter BID